No Jab No Play

‘No Jab, No Play’ is the name of legislation that requires all children to be fully vaccinated, unless they have a medical exemption, to be enrolled in childcare or kindergarten in Victoria.

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, in order to finalise an enrolment for a child in a kindergarten, long day care, family day care or an occasional care service: 

  • a current Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Immunisation Register must be provided to the early childhood service, and
  • the statement must show that the child is up to date with all the vaccinations they are due/able to receive or
  • the child is eligible to enrol under the grace period.

‘Conscientious objection’ to vaccination is not an exemption. 

Finalising your child’s enrolment

To finalise your child’s enrolment, we are required to receive copies of the following:

  • A birth certificate
  • Proof that your child’s immunisations are up to date for their age.

Evidence of up-to-date immunisation must be provided within the two months prior to your child commencing at our service.

An Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (AIR) is the ONLY form of evidence that can be used to show your child’s vaccinations are up to date for their age.

The quickest way to get your statement is by using your Medicare online account through myGov or the Express Plus Medicare mobile app.

Alternatively, you can request an Immunisation History Statement in person at your local Medical service centre or call the AIR enquiries line on 1800 653 809 to request a statement is posted to you. It can take 14 days to get your statement in the post.

If you are short of time you can ask your GP or immunisation nurse if they can print your child’s Immunisation History Statement directly from the AIR.  Please note, not all immunisation providers can do this.

If you are experiencing difficulties accessing vaccinations or required related documents, please contact us for assistance as soon as you are able. In some cases children can commence at the service while the required documents are obtained.

Requesting evidence of vaccination after enrolment

From 1 November 2018, parents/carers of children attending early childhood services are required to provide the service with evidence that their child continues to be up to date with immunisations while attending your service.  

After enrolment, we will request immunisation evidence from parents/carers twice per year, with regulations specifying that an interval of no greater than seven months elapses before parents provide this to services.